Saturday, 2 August 2014

NARS Sheer Glow - Mont Blanc







I have a massive love for foundation and have tried pretty much every single brand, and every single product they have to offer. I'v been testing different ones out for years at this stage and I will never tire of trying out new ones. I have written posts on foundations since the very start of this blog, (which is a year old today - WHAT!) and I try to give as much information as possible so as a result, they tend to be quite lengthy. If you are on the hunt for a new foundation, then try keep reading until the end (God bless those who do) because I can not recommend this product enough. 


For reference, I have VERY oily skin, with annoying dry patches chucked in for good measure, so it can be a pain in the arse to deal with (Damn it, why is life so cruel??). This foundation can work with both, just with a little bit of patience and effort. Trust me, it's worth it.

   


NARS sheer glow is one of the most talked about foundations over the last 2 years, possibly most talked about make-up item in general. It is hugely popular and very rarely gets a bad review. Go on, just try and find one, you'll be searching for a while. With most people, it is love at first sight, or first application. However, that was definitely not the case for myself. In fact if I had reviewed this back in January when I purchased it, it wouldn't have been great at all. My love for this foundation has been like a little journey but I can safely say I have now found my absolute holy grail. 


Over the course of the last few months I have had to learn how to make this product work with my skin. It definitely falls into the "less is more" category. I started applying heaps of it trying to cover all the redness and other problems with my skin when really all I needed was a drop. The reason being, this product isn't thick, it just has a huge amount of pigments in it so therefore it hides without having to layer up, so no caking. Or as NARS say; coverage by pigment, not weight. That is definitely one of the most important things to remember when applying. Another thing, using your fingers to apply this works wonders as the warmth of your hands helps to blend this seamlessly. I tend to apply it with my fingers and then at the end I go in with my Zoeva brush to further blend. 




The name of this would suggest it is a glowing, dewy, sheer foundation. Well, not really. Glowing? Yes, but not in a disco ball kind of way. More in the "are you an actual angel?" way, or y'know, something like that... Now, NARS claim this foundation will actually benefit your skin and improve its general brightness overtime with its fancy-arse Complexion Brightening Formula. I don't really think that is true but sure look, I'll let them away with it. It definitely does give the skin a certain brightness or "radiance" while it's on the face but when I take it off, my skin is back to its normal shite self. However, it doesn't make it anymore shite, it just doesn't help it... Am I making any sense? 



As for the sheerness, not at all. It is buildable but I'd definitely market this as more of a medium to full coverage foundation although, not in a scary Double Wear/mask way. This stuff still feels transparent and weightless on the skin, there's no doubt about that. It gives a natural satin-finished look, while still covering everything. So basically, what everyone wants out of a foundation, right? It hides pigmentation, scarring, acne and redness in general with only a few drops. It honestly is stunning and my skin certainly looked better with it on than every other foundation I have tried. 




How it works with different skin types? Well firstly, as with all foundations you need to moisturize quite well and even more so if you have dry skin. Without that, you won't get along with this product at all. Another thing that I think is important, no matter what your skin type is to prime the skin. I am currently LOVING the Pease mattifying primer (would anyone like a review?) as it smooths out the skin so well and really does give the perfect base. It glides over dry patches and mattifies my oily t-zone. Another thing, which is one of the main reasons why my oily skin works with this foundation is setting sprays. I have reviewed the extremely popular Urban Decay ones over on Blondes Love Cupcakes if anyone would like to pop over and have a read. Before using a setting spray this foundation did not last on my skin at all, despite almost every review I read saying it lasts for hours. I pondered switching to the matte version of NARS sheer glow , however I have read that it is nowhere near as nice or natural looking as the original so I didn't want to go down that route.  As I mentioned above, I do have very very oily skin. No foundation ever lasts long on my face so don't let that put you off testing this guy out. Just definitely set it with powder and spray, skipping the powder if you have dry skin.




I was matched to the shade Mont Blanc, which is the second lightest shade NARS have to offer. You can see above that its very similar to MAC NC15 and Vichy Opal15 but I could probably even get away with the shade Siberia, which is the lightest and is slightly less yellow. One last thing to note with this foundation is that it does not contain any SPF, which means it obviously wont protect you from the sun but it does make it bloody brilliant for photography. This foundation has come up tops in use for weddings and other special occasions, for all the reasons above and for the fact that it looks absolutely beautiful in photos. 



NARS Sheer Glow retails at €40 and can be found at Brown Thomas or through the NARS website.















1 comment:

  1. Less is definitely more with this and I much prefer it to MAC NC15, just seems a little too yellow for my skin. This is definitely a foundation every beauty blogger should have in their collection ;) x

    ReplyDelete