Monday, 10 March 2014

The Black Smokey Eye.





I'v been asked a few times to post tutorials of the make-up looks I create. However, I attempted to write one up and it just didn't work and wasn't really easy to understand. A lot of people have suggested I start filming make-up tutorials on YouTube, which I would absolutely love to do but time and my lack of equipment is going to get in the way. Also, I'd be crapping myself. Maybe when I get better and more confident at applying make-up I'l give it a lash but for the moment- I'm still learning and have a long way to go. My make-up isn't in anyway perfect. 

Usually it's when I post pictures on Instagram that I get people asking how I created such a look, what products I used, etc. I absolutely LOVE getting comments like these because it's really amazing to think people want to recreate something I'v done. It's certainly not something I'm used to. One lovely girl (@aoifemurf) asked for a bit of advice on different make-up looks, and mentioned she uses the Naked Palette which is fantastic because it's pretty much my go-to. This smokey eye is not really for day-time wear, although I promise I will have posts up on those looks soon. 

I saw a photo of  Brit model Chloe Lloyd pop up on my timeline the other day and she looked absolutely amazing. She always does, but this particular look caught my attention. It was a really dark smokey eye and was so simple but so effective. I decided I'd make an attempt at copying it- obviously mine would be kind of shite in comparison because I'm not a qualified make-up artist who created this on Chloe, and because sadly, I don't have her perfect features. But sure, I went for it anyways. 

I only used 2 shades on the eyes (excluding the base shade) so it's not that complicated at all. The one thing that pulled it all together and made it look probably better than it was? Sellotape. If I am ever doing a dark eye look I will always peel off a bit of sellotape, pop it onto the back of my hand so its not extremely sticky and then whip off, and apply it onto my the edges of my eyelid, so matching the end of the brow to the corner of the eye. Does that make any sense at all? Basically what the sellotape does is create that sharp edge to the look, saving you from having to go in with concealer to clean up the edges. Its also dead handy when doing that dreaded eyeliner flick.

The products I used for this look were; 

Face- Benefit Porefessional Primer
Max Factor 3in1 Foundation
Collection 2000 Concealer
NARS Pressed Powder

Eyes- Urban Decay Primer Potion
Urban Decay Naked Palette (Orginal), shade - Buck (matte brown)
Urban Decay Basics Palette, shade- Crave (matte black) and Foxy (matte cream)
Urban Decay 24/7 kohl eyeliner- Zero
Maybelline black gel eyeliner
Maybelline The Falsies Mascara- Waterproof

Eyebrows- Rimmel Eyebrow Pencil
Catrice Eyebrow Powder Box

Lips- No7 Nude lipliner
MAC Blankety lipstick





Now, I will try explain what I did...

-I applied my primer and foundation and concealed any blemishes I had. I decided to leave the under-eye concealer until the end as there tends to be a lot of fallout when using dark shadows.

- Next I primed my eyelids and filled in my brows by drawing out the intial shape with the pencil and then filling in with the powder.

- I then took the shade Foxy and applied it all over the lid using my CC41 Crown Brush, bringing it all the way up to the brow bone. This ensures a nice even base and any shadow applied after will blend a little bit easier. 

- The next step you could do before or after the black shadow. I contoured the eye using the shade Buck, so basically I just brought it through the crease and blended upwards slightly. This will create a nice gradient for the black shadow. I used my CC41 again for this, but any fluffy brush would work. You really want to blend this out quite a bit to make it look seamless. 

- I then took Crave, and packed it onto my lid space using a Zoeva 234 brush (flat shader). You want to make sure you apply this a little at a time because its so easy to go over the top and end up creating a mess. Make sure this only goes on the lid and not above where we placed Buck.

- Now all you have to do is blend, blend, blend using another big fluffy brush. You may find you need to add a bit more black to deepen it up, but again, do not allow it go on or above the crease. You're trying to create a gradient effect.  

- I usually end up going back in with Buck to help blend the edges but I'd advise getting a clean blending brush for this as you don't want to have black shadow all over the place. The Sellotape is still on at this stage. 

- Once you are happy with the blending, go in and apply gel liner from the inner tear duct area right out to the edge of the eye (where the sellotape is) and create a wing right up to where the black shadow ends and the brown starts. I know that is a really stupid explanation but hopefully you will be able to understand what I mean by the picture.

- Apply your black kohl pencil to the upper and lower waterlines. This will intensify the look and colour in any flesh showing through. Also make sure you bring this right around the tear duct area too as we want to connect it with the gel liner above.

- Peel off the sellotape and you should be left with a perfect sharp winged out line where the shadow and liner stop. Take a small pencil brush (Zoeva 230) and bring the black shadow underneath the eye, as close as possible to the lashes, joining the shadow with the upperlid. Now just take Buck and blend it out to soften it. 

- Grab your eyelash curler, try not tear your lashes out, and apply a LOAD of mascara. Don't hold back. You could apply actual false lashes too which would tie the whole thing together. 

- Apply under-eye concealer and whatever lip products you're using and the look is pretty much completed. 




What would I do without filters...


I have read over that tons of times and I'm still like "this is the worst step-by-step guide ever" but, I tried.  It was also my first attempt at a proper black smokey eye so I wasn't too sure if I was happy with it or not. Although, I was in MAC the other day and the amazing girl  Sarah, that was doing my sisters make-up saw the picture and said it was great so I'm taking that as a good sign.  

This look can really only work at nighttime (when its too dark to see it?!) if you want something super dramatic. The next time I try it out I wont go as high up to the brow bone as I did above as it can be a bit too much. 



What do you all think? 
Was it easy to understand/would you be able to recreate it?
If so- post them on twitter/instagram and tag me in them! 
And also, would you watch my YouTube videos if I started them?

Twitter: @ilovebarrystea
Instagram: @ilovebarrystea









5 comments:

  1. SOOO gorgeous! You are one pretty miss.

    xxx | daisydaisyxxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thank you so much Daisy, you're very kind :) x

      Delete
  2. Your so gorgeous! Love the black smokey eye, really suits you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeekk thanks Chloe, its pretty dramatic and haven't worn it since but i'm delighted i'v had positive feedback, I was a bit worried haha :)

      How has it taken me over a month to see these comments, i'm awful!! x

      Delete
  3. Aw Aisling, you are a stunner. Fab tutorial, I love smokey eye looks and wear them during the day, can't help adding a bit of drama to my makeup but use green, brown or purple, makes it more wearable, gorgeous with a nude lip x

    ReplyDelete