Thursday, 19 September 2013

Bourjois Healthy Mix Collection




When I was 13 and started wearing make-up I tried every single drugstore foundation I could find. It suited my budget and back then I hadn't a clue about make-up so would lash anything on if I thought it might hide my face. I think my very first foundation was Rimmel Stay Matte, and was about 5 shades too dark for my pale skin. Embarrassingly, I still wore it (any pictures of that time have been banished forever, unfortunately). I hated the stuff. My face would be a horrible, shiny, orange mess by the time I would arrive home after school. I continued trying out brand after brand, going from Essence to Loreal to Maybelline to Revlon and at one desperate stage, I tried the MaxFactor Pan Stick.

It was probably about 2 years later that I finally managed to build up my savings to purchase my first ever high-end foundation. I had done a little bit of research but eventually settled on a MAC foundation. I found out the hard way that me and MAC foundations do not get along. I eventually stumbled upon a YouTube video that introduced me to Estee Lauder Double Wear and I have been a devoted lover of it since. However, f you have read my very first post, you will know that mine and Estee's relationship has come to an end and so my foundation journey continues.

I picked up the Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum and the Healthy Mix Foundation about a year ago. I was definitely sceptical as I had such a bad experience with drugstore foundations before. To be totally honest, I didn't give these foundations a chance. I applied them both once and realised they would never compare to Double Wear in terms of coverage and staying power so I chucked them in a drawer and forgot about them. I really regret that now.

Bourjois have created an absolutely beautiful product, in both the serum formula and the original foundation. I think this collection has been the most talked about/blogged about drugstore product EVER, with very good reason. I decided to try these out when I became sick of the "mask" effect I was getting from heavier foundations. I obviously wanted to cover my imperfections and acne but for the little bit of skin that was decent, I wanted to let it shine through.

These foundations do exactly that;

 They provide buildable coverage. In my opinion, the original HM Foundation gives more of a medium coverage while the HM Serum is slightly lighter, so perfect for those who have only a small bit of pigmentation to cover. At the moment, I am using the original foundation paired with my Collection concealer and it is a match made in heaven. It literally covers everything, and trust me, I have a LOT to cover.

They provide a healthy complexion. These foundations are very much true to their name. They bring a perfect radiance to the face, giving a dewy, healthy and natural effect. I find the Original to be more of a semi-matte finish, (perfect for oily skin) and the Serum to be more of a dewy finish (perfect for dry skin). The foundation can thank its fruity ingredients for this effect, mainly the Apricot for providing the radiant glow.

They are extremely light on the skin. So you won't feel it heavy and wont think "my skin can't breathe" while wearing it. Once its on, it really doesn't feel like you are wearing anything at all. I think its always best to apply a heavy duty concealer to pinpoint the areas where you need coverage and then leave the rest of the skin to just the foundation. It will look a lot more natural and always remember, less is definitely more.

This foundation is the perfect daytime foundation however, I have yet to use it on a night out. Personally I prefer a slightly heavier foundation for these occasions as I want my skin to be completely flawless and I also want to know my foundation won't be sliding all over the place after a night of dancing. This is where the Bourjois Healthy Mix has slightly let itself down. It definitely does not live up to the "16 hour wear" claim. I would say at a push it lasts 8 hours, which isn't bad at all for a foundation that is less than 20euro (I think its around 15euro).

I also picked up the concealer that matches the foundation, expecting it to be just as good. Honestly, I didn't like it that much. It did the job but not as good as the Collection concealer did, and it's a few quid cheaper. I made the mistake of grabbing the first shade I saw, thinking it looked about right but coming home to find it was a shade darker than the foundation. Which doesn't really work as concealer is meant to disguise things, not bring them to attention by being darker. Maybe this is the reason why I didn't enjoy it as much as I should have. Also, it would definitely be more of an "under eye concealer" than a spot cover up.


Let me know if you have tried this foundation, although I think almost everyone has.
Did you find it good/bad/only alright?
And what is your current foundation? I'd love to hear so I can try them all out!



6 comments:

  1. Great review!
    I've tried the foundation, it's not so 'heavy' so the effect is pretty natural, I don't like full coverage foundation, so it's good in this way, but the range of shades it's not so wide, so I didn't found the colour that suits perfectly to my skin colour.
    My current foundation is from Make Up Forever, is face & body liquid make up.
    It's amazing! Light and really easy to blend, no mask effect and there are a lot of shades.
    It's not so cheap, but I use a small amount, because I don't like to use too much foundation...so, it will last Forever ;)

    Much love,

    Didi

    www.birthdaygirl.me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Didi! Glad you liked the foundation and I would agree that the shade range isn't great at all, sadly.
      I'v never tried Make Up Forever foundation but you have made me want to go out and buy it! It sounds amazing.
      Can't wait to check out your blog :)

      x

      Delete
  2. I think that drugstore foundations have increased in quality IMMENSELY since I first started wearing it (2003, so about a decade ago). The gel foundation from Bourjois is my current everyday foundation and I love it so so much. Great post :)

    Kate Xx
    themintedbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delighted you enjoyed the post, Kate :D and delighted you also wear Bourjois every day! They deserve a pat on the back for their amazing products. :) You're so right about the drugstore products improving greatly, its so great to see that even on a budget you can get good quality!

      Will be checking out The Minted Beauty right away ;)

      x

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your reviews were helpful, although im still stuck between getting the rimmel match perfection and the healthy mix. i have tried the match perfection ages ago but i cant remember what it was like. help pls?!

    ReplyDelete