Monday, 12 August 2013

How I Clean My Make-Up Brushes



Yet to be cleaned.


There is something really therapeutic about washing make-up brushes. Its probably because its not strenuous work and doesn't really involve much thinking. 

I have no fancy way of washing my make-up brushes. I haven't even bothered to try any expensive "proper" brush shampoo because to be totally honest, I just couldn't be arsed. I obviously want to keep my brushes in the best possible care because they can be so damn expensive! But I am not going to fork out a load of money for some hyped up water in a fancy looking bottle. No way.

What I use costs about 5euro, possibly less and its so handy to pick up in your local chemist/pharmacy. You may even have some in your house because I think every household has to have a bottle of it for something. 


Does the job

What is this cheap wonderful product? 
Johnson's Baby Shampoo. It is fantastic! I used to use regular shampoo (very silly thing to do as I realised it broke me out) until my genius best friend, Karen told me that she uses Baby Shampoo. Karen is just as obsessed with make up, and indeed keeping her brushes in the best possible care so I trusted that she knew what she was talking about. 

And she did! This stuff works like a dream. All you need is a coin sized amount in your hand and a bit of water and you are good to go. What I tend to do is give the brush a quick rinse under warm water. Next, I dip the brush into the shampoo and swirl around until it basically turns into a gross looking colour, in my case usually its orange from my foundation...

When you have most of the shampoo adsorbed, I then run the brush under cold water until the water runs clear. Depending on how long ago you used the brush and how often, you may need to do this routine continuously to get the brush thoroughly clean but it will be worth the extra bit of time. 


On a slight tilt to drain the water out


Now, I am going to be completely honest here and say, I don't wash my brushes every day, nor every week. I just simply don't have the time or have other stuff on my mind so its not really a priority (or, i just couldn't be arsed). I need to try make it one however, because I know its just causing a spread of germs that isn't all that fun for an acne sufferer, or anyone really. 




There are a few little things to remember when washing your brushes;

Always have the brush facing downwards, so no water gets into the actual metal/plastic bit of the brush.
Don't use HOT water as this will melt the glue inside the brush that holds all the bristles in place. 
When drying, again, have them placed downwards. So, have the tail/end of the brush propped up on a slight angle so that any water that could have seeped into the brush can drain out.
For this, I use a rolled up face clothe and prop my brushes up against that.



My embarrassingly small collection of brushes


I find that the Baby Shampoo leaves the brushes really soft and smelling nice. Another bonus is that its Baby Shampoo, so it doesn't contain any harsh chemicals of some kind that will react with your skin as the brush comes into contact with it.

I have a mixture of expensive brushes and not as expensive brushes ranging from Mac, Clinique, Benefit and Urban Decay to Real Techniques (who wants a review?) and even cheap brushes I picked up in a pharmacy that do the job grand.

An example of how long a brush can last if its kept in great condition is my Clinique foundation brush. This thing is SIX years old and still one of the best brushes I own. It cost a lot at the time but obviously it has been worth every penny. It was my very first make-up brush and I would probably cry if I lost it or damaged it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment